This site is currently under construction and much content may be missing. Please accept our apologies;
we will try to replace it as soon as possible.
Before buying any equipment please seek advice from one of the instructors. Some example supppliers and equipment are listed below.
If you fancy reading up on the subjects to be covered in LSD classes then the original texts are available. Or, you could try this excellent book..
- Mandatory: members are expected to obtain this equipment at their earliest convenience. You may not participate in the assault without this equipment. We have a small supply of equipment to lend to new members.
- Fencing Mask — 3 weapon mask rated at at least 350N.
- Fencing Jacket — rated at least 350 N for small-sword, 800+ N recommended for back-sword.
- Indoor shoes — Hi-Tech squash shoes are cheap and very serviceable.
- Gloves/lightweight gauntlets, leather or sport fencing.
- Unarmed sparring mask with face protector.
- MMA gloves.
- Cricket box/Support.
- Recommended: we strongly suggest that members obtain these, particularly for fencing in any sort of tournament.
- Gorget in leather, metal or plastic.
- Fencing breeches rated at 350 N
- A double-wide or steam epeé with a French grip. NB. a pistol grip is entirely unsuitable.
- Zen Warrior Armoury (USA) do a selection of smallsword hilts at reasonable prices. Postage and customs charges can bump up the price.
- Leon Paul offer a good range of fencing equipment, including the required components to assemble a “fleuret”.
- Allstar Fencing provide good quality equipment at reasonable prices. They have good sizing information.
The uniform of the Linacre School of Defence consists of dark trousers, a white polo top and a red fleece (these items, plus patches, can be obtained from the instructors). If you can get them, Leon Paul's tracksuit trousers are recommended.
We do not rigidly enforce uniform requirements, but an effort to conform to the rather loose guidelines is appreciated.